* WGs marked with an * asterisk has had at least one new draft made available during the last 5 days

Nfsv4 Status Pages

Network File System Version 4 (Active WG)
Tsv Area: Mirja K├╝hlewind, Magnus Westerlund | 1998-Jul-30 —  
Chairs
 
 


IETF-105 nfsv4 minutes

Session 2019-07-25 1330-1530: Sainte-Catherine - Audio stream - nfsv4 chatroom

Minutes

minutes-105-nfsv4-00 minutes



          NFSv4 Working Group
          July 25, 2019
          13:30 - 15:30 (Thursday) - Sainte-Catherine
          
          
          Note Well - Beepy
          Agenda Bashing - All
          
          Agreed to agenda. Spencer pushed all the latest slides.
          
          === Topic [NFSv4], Who: Dave Noveck, Duration: 20 minutes
          
                Network File System (NFS) Version 4 Minor Version 1 Protocol
                draft-ietf-nfsv4-rfc5661sesqui-msns-00
          
          See slides.
          
          Trunking history and mechanism. RFC 7931.
          
          We need to read and comment on rfc5661sequi-msns. Submit -01 next week
          and hope to move document forward.
          
          Noveck is asking about implementation experience in
          trunking. fs_locations_info is not implemented says Lever. Linux client
          doesn?t support trunking at all, NetApp can do some, Solaris will not
          support.
          
          Transparent state migration is only on Solaris, and Solaris supports
          4.1. Linux client supports transparent state migration in 4.0 and 4.1
          (pretty close to spec in the Linux server). VMware is implementing 4.1
          support, but we don?t know status - they were asking questions of Sorin
          on trunking.
          
          
          === Topic [RPC-o-TLS], Who: Chuck Lever, Duration 15 minutes
                Remote Procedure Call Encryption By Default
                draft-ietf-nfsv4-rpc-tls-02
          
          New work since the last meeting a year ago. Proposal to update security
          for the 21st century.
          
          See article LWN on tunneling NFS. Chuck wants to simply add privacy to
          the protocol. And cryptographic authentication. See slides - in secondary
          benefits separate out machine to machine authentication/encryption from
          user id. Prototype has been demonstrated. Hammerspace has a prototype.
          
          Need a short document explaining all this.
          
          AI: Add milestone for document.
          
          SECDIR review should be done - Lars (not expecting problem). WG Chair
          to push SECDIR review button
          
          
          === Topic [RPC-o-RDMA Version 2], Who: Chuck Lever, Duration 10 minutes
          
          This got backburnered by RPC-over-TLS.
          
          Still a personal draft, would like to move forward.
          
          Issues on size and capabilities of transport.
          
          See slides.
          
          AI: Make working group document before feature - moving it to -00.
          
          
          === Topic [Integrity Measurement], Who: Chuck Lever, Duration 15 minutes
                Integrity Measurement for Network File System version 4
                draft-ietf-nfsv4-integrity-measurement-05
          
          ?Not again.? :-)
          
          Lever added use case description to motivate the feature.
          
          See slides. Have support for legacy clients that do not understand
          integrity.
          
          AI: Add milestone and date.
          
          
          === Topic [Milestone Review], Who: Dave Noveck, Duration 20 minutes
                Milestones
                Dec 2019  Submit final document defining RPC-over-RDMA Version 2
                (as Proposed Standard)
                Sep 2019  Submit final document describing pNFS RDMA Layout (as
                Proposed Standard)
                Jun 2019  Submit final document describing CM private data
                convention for RPC-over-RDMA version 1 (Informational)
                Mar 2019  Submit final document describing Transparent State
                Migration in NFSv4.1 (as Proposed Standard)
                Mar 2019  Submit final document describing NFSv4.1 trunking
                discovery (as Proposed Standard)
                Nov 2018  Submit final document describing NFSv4.0 trunking
                discovery (as Proposed Standard)
                Jun 2018  Submit final document describing use of NVMe in accessing
                a pNFS SCSI Layout (as Proposed Standard)
                Jun 2018  WGLC for draft-ietf-nfsv4-migration-issues (Informational)
          
          
          NVME and pNFS is stalled.
          
          Trunking and State Migration move date to Oct 2019.
          
          CM Private Data - expect 9/2019.
          
          RDMA Layout not achievable by 9/2019.
          
          RPC-over-RDMA probably achievable (?) by 12/2019.
          
          ???-xtensions not being pursued. No flex-files pursuit.
          
          AI: Beepy to discuss NVME document with Hellwig. And next steps. And the
          RDMA document - DROP IT. :-/ Issue at transport level - permissions to
          access layouts. Check to see if we will keep on milestones.
          
          
          === Topic [Discuss rfc5661bis], Who: Dave Noveck, Duration 15 minutes
          
          7530 is the bis for 4.0 - fixed internationalization and security,
          said it is fixed in 4.1 also, but doc was never updated.
          
          AI: take to mail list separate I18N and Security separate docs for 4.1 -
          Haynes, Shepler, beepy, Magnus.
          
          Remove unused features in doc. Sanitation.
          
          
          === Topic [Data Reduction Extended Attributes], Who: Sorin Faibish,
          Duration 15 minutes
          
                Data Reduction Extended Attributes in nfsv4 Version 2
                draft-faibish-data-reduction-xattrs-pvt-00
          
          XATTR for data reduction.
          
          See slides. Bring to alias.
          
          
          === Topic [Layout_wcc], Who: Thomas Haynes, Duration 10 minutes
          
          Wants to make working group item.
          
          AI: Add documents to the milestones when we update.
          
          



Generated from PyHt script /wg/nfsv4/minutes.pyht Latest update: 24 Oct 2012 16:51 GMT -