* WGs marked with an * asterisk has had at least one new draft made available during the last 5 days

Acme Status Pages

Automated Certificate Management Environment (Active WG)
Sec Area: Eric Rescorla, Kathleen Moriarty | 2015-Jun-26 —  
Chairs
 
 


IETF-100 acme minutes

Session 2017-11-16 1550-1750: Sophia - Audio stream - acme chatroom

Minutes

minutes-100-acme-00 minutes



          ACME Working Group meeting at IETF 100
          ======================================
          
          Thursday, November 16 at 15:50 local time (7:50 UTC)
          
          
          Status update
          -------------
            Who: chairs
            Slides:
            https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/100/materials/slides-100-acme-chair-slides/
          
          -   Published acme-08;
          -   OPS and Gen-ART reviews;
          -   New versions for all new drafts.
          
          
          Email
          -----
            Who: Alexey
            Slides:
            https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/100/materials/slides-100-acme-extensions-to-acme-for-email/
            I-Ds: https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-acme-email-tls-02,
                  https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-acme-email-smime-01
          
          ### draft-ietf-acme-email-tls-02
          
          TLS certificates for email services.
          
          See slides (#2) for a summary of the changes since Prague.
          
          Open issues: - Include port and service (e.g., smtp, imaps) in challange
          hash?
          
          MT: Port under the hash: OK. Are you suggesting or even requiring that
          the ACME server insists on a particular port number for these protocols?
          
          AM: in theory you could put any of these on a non standard port. I
          should probably say: CA may enforce that port number correlates to the
          service.
          
          MT: Ability to run TCP server on my machine on port 5000 is not a good
          indication that person controls the machine. Definitely want to have
          some text around this and maybe strongly recommend there be some policy
          at the CA that says: if the port number is different from what I say
          here then not a good idea to accept this. We did the same thing for
          HTTP.
          
          RB: The analogy MT was pointing at is the HTTP challenge: the CA will
          only connect to the validation server on port 80, which is supposedly
          privileged. Use the standard port for the services we are talking about.
          
          AM: OK.
          
          -   Cover both TLS and non TLS ports (start plain, try STARTTLS and
              upgrade to TLS if available, e.g.: IMAP)? In theory same certificate
              could be used for both ports, in practice services and ports are
              different. Therefore difficult to get a certificate that covers both
              in one go.
          
          RB: Does not seem like an ACME issue: if certificate you are issuing is
          agnostic as to port number it should be fine. Only if using an SRV name
          or specifying the port number in the certificate then you need some
          binding.
          
          AM: Yes, I was thinking whether it is possible to get SAN and SRV name
          in the same certificate in one go. The answer is probably no. It is an
          optimisation, I don't think it matters in practice.
          
          JL: IMAP server I am using I don't think it has provision for doing
          separate certficates for the two services, so combining is important.
          
          JL: Unrelated question: any reason why POP is missing?
          
          AM: No particular reason.
          
          JL: Tiny data point: I use it. Anything that applies to IMAP equally
          applies for POP.
          
          AM: It'd need new capability challenge. Only DNS challenge would work
          out of the box.
          
          JL: Adding cap challenge should be same effort as adding it to IMAP.
          
          AM: OK will do.
          
          -   Support LMTP?
          
          AM: A variant of SMTP for final delivery, some of these services are
          public facing. Trouble is LMTP doesn't have registered port number, and
          neither is the lmtp name registered. Could do registration in a separate
          document, no problem.
          
          Next steps: - More reviews (Richard should review); - Call for
          implementers, could be something in London on top of letsencrypt for
          example.
          
          ### draft-ietf-acme-email-smime-01
          
          Certificates for S/MIME users.
          
          AM: Still rather raw. Done some changes but really need to flesh out how
          the messages are going to look like.
          
          See slides (#5) for a summary of the changes since Prague.
          
          RB: one thing not clear from the document is whether you are trying to
          verify someone is able to receive mail at the claimed address, or send
          email from that address, or both?
          
          AM: open question, but I suspect the answer is both (and sending is more
          powerful assertion than receiving.)
          
          JL: just being able to receive is not sufficient: I could probably get
          an ACME certificate for every IETF mailing list... sending is
          problematic as well. Probably need text in security considerations
          saying that a "certain amount" of spoofing of identities is unavoidable.
          
          AM: right.
          
          HN: Same point as JL. For receiving OK. For sending we need to make sure
          an email validation system like DMARC is mentioned in the document.
          
          AM: OK, sounds good.
          
          RB: I should observe that verification of receipt is used in typical web
          based workflows where email is sent to an address with a web link to
          click on for verification. I don't know if it's evidence of sufficiency
          but it's evidence that this works in some other cases.
          
          JL: (not intelligible)
          
          RB: Last observation: looking at JP here as there seems to be some
          overlap between this and the empirical telephone number verification
          case?
          
          JP: Return routability tests of various kinds have been used for some
          time - stolen from practices used for email. If the endpoint is smart
          enough you could add more on top to strengthen the verification (e.g.,
          crypto in the SIM card), or identifiers (IMEI, IMSI) that are maintained
          by the network therefore the network can be queried. If we want to make
          this more generic by defining a profile that encompasses both return
          routability tests, I'd be willing to work with you (Alexey) on that, if
          you are interested.
          
          AM: Sure.
          
          See slides (#6) for open issues.
          
          
          Main document wrap-up
          ---------------------
            Who: Richard
            Slides:
            https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/100/materials/slides-100-acme-acme-acme/
            I-D: https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-acme-acme-08
          
          On proactive issuance, i.e., when to send the CSR? (See slides for
          details about requirements and alternative flows.)
          
          RB: One approach is to always send the CSR twice (PR#342). Simple logic
          (no branching), but unnecessary caching on client side if client always
          talk to a CA that caches the CSR + retransmit cost.
          
          (?): How do you know the two CSRs are the same?
          
          RB: This issue always exists when you send it twice
          
          EKR: Maybe... (long argument which I could not get.)
          
          RB: The other approach is CA signals client whether to do the second
          transmission. Another way you can view this dicothomy is whether the
          first and second requests are part of the same flow, or decoupled
          things. The first request is more or less a stateful thing that just
          gets advice and the second one (when you need a second one) as the
          actual issuance transaction. The more decoupled case that EKR was
          mentioning just now has the benefit that you only spend as much caching
          and bandwidth as you need to for a given CA and transaction - you don't
          cache the CSR if you don't need to. As EKR was mentioning you get this
          decoupling where there doesn't need to be any coupling between the first
          and the second requests and so you can have a slightly simpler logic on
          the server by just considering each request on its own without having to
          bind sequence of requests together. In this case the logic on the client
          is a little more complicated because it has to switch between the two
          cases.
          
          JL: why do you need the first CSR?
          
          RB: one of the use cases for getting the CSR upfront is that of legacy
          APIs that you might have behind an ACME interface that require the CSR
          at the beginning of the process. In this case first and second CSR are
          required to be the same because the backend has done everything based on
          the first CSR.
          
          RB: The question I have for the working group is which of these two
          approaches do we prefer? Had some discussion already on the list on
          PR#342. Personally I prefer PR#350 because it keeps things a little
          more decoupled and avoids unnecessary retransmits, but not a strong
          opinion.
          
          JHA: strongly prefer the former (PR#342) or, should I say, strongly
          disprefer the latter (PR#350). Main reason: I want to avoid that "this
          CA does something this way and that CA does something that way"; the
          risk is proliferation of clients that only implement one behaviour and
          not the other and then we don't have an interoperable ecosystem. Prefer
          simple and straightforward solution.
          
          EKR: not a crazy concern, but this is what interop testing is for, and
          actually having sensible protocol hygiene is more important. And what
          the security requirements are in term of what the CA needs to check
          between the two CSRs?
          
          JHA: CA can hash the two and make sure the hash is the same.
          
          EKR: That means you think they have to be the same, why do they have to
          be the same?
          
          JHA: I don't think this is necessarily true.
          
          EKR: This is concerning.
          
          JHA: In our setup and policy it's OK if they are different. I proposed
          hash equality because I thought you wanted them to be identical, but if
          you don't think so, I don't either.
          
          RB: There are cases (legacy API) where the CA requires them to be
          identical.
          
          RB: If you do the checks before issuance on the second one then it
          doesn't matter what the first one was...
          
          EKR: yes, but only as long as the protocol says you have to issue off
          the second one.
          
          RB: yeah. you say you do all your pre-issuance checks on the 2nd one.
          
          EKR: but again, protocol has to say if they are the same or not. I see
          great opportunities for screwing things up in a bunch of different ways.
          
          JHA: I agree. Would you be happy with PR#342 if we said the in the 1st
          CSR the public key and extensions are ignored and the only that matter
          is the 2nd one?
          
          EKR: I'd be happy-er
          
          RB: we could say: whatever checks the CA does on an issuance request
          have to be done with regard to the CSR that is sent in the 2nd request?
          
          EKR: no
          
          MT: what aspects of the CSR are needed in order to tell the client what
          to do? It's only the identifiers, right?
          
          RB: issue with legacy APIs that need a real CSR.
          
          EKR: why unify the two flows? Can't this be separated in two different
          flows with the server advertising which one to follow?
          
          JHA: I think only one of the flows would get implemented. There are
          50-100 ACME clients which are essentially letsencrypt clients... how to
          build the protocol so that clients have an incentive to work with
          everyone?
          
          EKR: (summary) this seems the wrong way to go
          
          JHA: ideally, first round send just the identifiers, second round send
          the full CSR. we'd need to hear from CAs that have an API that needs CSR
          first and would have trouble adopting ACME without this flow.
          
          EKR: it seems you and I prefer the same thing (PR#342). I still need to
          be convinced we need "CSR first" flow.
          
          RS (no hat): could we make the error code generic so whenever you get
          this error code, resubmit with the CSR and if the CSR is resent it MUST
          be the same one?
          
          JHA: could work
          
          RB: need to see the PR to understand exactly how it'd work
          
          RB: surprised that PR#342 works with LE workflows with wildcards?
          
          JHA: the identifier notion introduced in PR#342 is a little different
          from the identifiers in the authorisation objects.
          
          RB: so basically in PR#342 you'd take the collection of DNS name SANs,
          translate them to identifier objects and send them in? JHA: yes
          
          MT: I like PR#342 as well, an editorial note: be more precise the
          definition of identifiers (e.g., define what it means to have a wildcard
          ID and the format of it)
          
          RB: there seems to be a bit of mass behind PR#342. Having a signal in
          the directory object to take care of legacy whereas the the core ACME is
          focused on going forward use cases. Then clients can implement the
          legacy affordance or not.
          
          YN: let's take a hum. Proposed way forward is accept PR#342. Hum if you
          understand PR#342.
          
          room: huuuuum
          
          YN: Hum if you don't
          
          room: (silence)
          
          YN: hum if you agree this is the right way forward
          
          room: hum
          
          YN: hum if you don't agree this is the right way forward
          
          room: (silence)
          
          RB: I'll work with Daniel to get PR#342 landed and talk with folks who
          have legacy APIs and see if we need to add some affordance for backwards
          compat.
          
          RB: Have this done and review comments incorporated by early December.
          
          RS: Kathleen, assuming this is the only substantive technical issue, do
          you want us to do another WGLC? Or just move it forward after like a
          week?
          
          KM (AD): as in TLS, do a narrowly focused WGLC on only areas of
          question, not the whole thing. Would be nice to have this done soon so
          that it doesn't need another AD review. The sooner the better.
          
          RB: Hope to get this done well before March.
          
          
          Telephony
          ---------
          
            Who: Jon
            Slides:
            https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/100/materials/slides-100-acme-acme-stir/
            I-Ds:
            https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-peterson-acme-authority-token-00,
                  https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-acme-telephone-01
          
          JP: both I and Mary are presenting basically the same material and
          trying to pose the same questions. Trying to cover both as much as I
          can.
          
          JP: in STIR we have defined certificate profiles and a certain number of
          certificate extension. Two branches: TN (telephone numbers, maybe
          associated with an end-user) and SPC (service provider codes). It'd be
          very difficult, maybe impossible to administer those without something
          like ACME.
          
          See slides (#3-7) for a description of how STIR works, and how STIR
          plans to make use of ACME, and what the alternatives to prove identities
          are.
          
          JP: Generalising off the telephone use cases: an ACME server has a
          preexisting relationship with an identity authority of some kind; when a
          user claims a certain identity, the ACME server can challenge the user
          asking it to go to the authority that controls the relevant name space
          and get a token; if the authority thinks user is legit, they will give
          back something cryptographically signed that the user can present to the
          ACME server; if the ACME server verifies that "something" it issues the
          user a new certificate.
          
          JP: Other possible use case: E-ZPass / FasTrack with license plate
          authority.
          
          JP: Therefore define a generic token, with an explicit type governed by
          some registry and some more things in it (like a hint).
          
          JP: Mary's approach is slightly different, we want to check with the
          ACME WG whether this is a good idea, and which way is preferable.
          
          (?): clarifying question: you sort of imply ACME service reaching out to
          the authority to get the token?
          
          JP: no
          
            Who: Mary
            Slides:
            https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/100/materials/slides-100-acme-acme-token-identifier-and-challenges/
            I-Ds: https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-barnes-acme-token-challenge-00
                  https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-barnes-acme-service-provider-code-00,
                  https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-acme-service-provider-02
          
          See slides (#2-?) for an overview.
          
          MB: (audio breaks lots)
          
          JP: I'm arguing for a model with sub-typing and an IANA registry that
          specifies how these tokens work in particular. The approach in Mary's
          draft is more focused on identifying that entity designation than on
          something that could potentially use different forms of tokens.
          
          CW: Jon covered it pretty well. Service provider corresponds to the
          SHAKEN stuff that we've done in the STIR domain in terms of the service
          provider code. If I understand Jon's proposal, the difference is that
          instead of having a predefined entity code, we have a type that is
          defined in a profile document, or something like that, and that
          characterises all the claims and other things. My personal opinion is
          I'm fine with it. Wish Mary was here to give her position as well.
          
          MB: I have two drafts, one generic and another which provides an example
          of using the former. And in this model you woudn't need the registration
          and is therefore lighter weight in my opinion. It doesn't put as much
          knowledge of how we're doing this in the ACME server. So, it's totally
          up to the authority and its relationship with the end-entity to figure
          out the value of the token and the unique identifier.
          
          JP: yes, I guess it's lighter weight but since we have to assume a
          pre-existing association between the authority and the CA anyway, being
          lighter weight limits the kind of things you can end up talking about.
          
          MB: I see your point. I was doing it in the original service provider
          code document, where the perspective was that the PA and CA already have
          that trust relationship and in the SHAKEN model we absolutely have that.
          We have a more restricted model. I can see your point, OK.
          
          JP: I think this can be useful in lots of cases in ACME, but this is a
          question for the room, that's what I'm interested to hear about.
          
          MB: it doesn't cost anything to not be generic. My concern is if we are
          too generic we are going to get use cases that we need to evaluate and
          make sure it works for those situations. People have already implemented
          the SKAKEN stuff and it works...
          
          RB: I think this is worth doing generically. I've had a similar use case
          in mind for DNS names for a while. Wouldn't it be nice even for the DV
          case if the CA could get information directly from a registry as to who
          holds which domain name? It's worth at least including that case. The
          thing we need to struggle with here is what the right axes for
          generalisation are. The only draft I read is Jon's and it looks roughly
          correct to me in terms of branching on token type. I'm broadly
          supportive of this approach.
          
          CW: I agree it'd be good to have a generic approach. One thing we could
          do is having sort of a default mode where there is e.g, an UUID. I can
          see a scenario where 80-90% of the folks using this may have pretty much
          the same mechanism: you don't have to necessarily define every single
          use case - may be something to consider.
          
          RS: we already adopted both. If they are converging, authors should get
          together and merge.
          
          JP: if we merge Mary's and mine proposal, both the service provider
          draft and the TN document would then rely on the generic one. And I'm
          happy to put in Chris's UUID case as I think it makes a lot of sense. I
          love the DV case. I think it's a win-win.
          
          RS: Mary opinions?
          
          MB: Jon, Chris and I will work together.
          
          TH: I generally like the mechanism you guys are converging on. A slight
          thing on the amount of domain knowledge that you need and I think that
          you still require some amount of it in the CA to know something about
          (let's call it) the number space that you are eventually going to issue
          the certificate for, because I don't think you can get away from the
          fact that in STIR a wildcard means something and in regular domain name
          FQDNs it means another thing. Let's just try and not be so generic that
          we expect every CA to be able to have the knowledge to issue certificate
          of fundamentally different types.
          
          RB: just to clarify the context: the context is within an authorisation
          transaction at which point you have already specified this is the
          specific identifier you are validating. So, I don't think we run into
          the questions of wildcards, etc.
          
          TH: I agree, I'm just trying to say that the amount of state can only
          get so low, because you are going to be able to match it to what kind of
          identifier is going to be issued. There are some of these identifiers
          which are functionally issued with only one reference authority and the
          amount of state you are willing to take is whatever the reference
          authority requires.
          
          CW: you also have to assume that the ACME implementation needs to
          support STIR certificates as well so there are a couple of levels of
          qualification that have to happen before you can actually give a
          certificate.
          
          YN (chair): guidance is talk together and come back with a single
          submission and then we can call for adoption, hopefully before London.
          
          JP: OK
          
          RS (chair): do we need to hum on that? Is everyone fine? If the charter
          has to be adjusted we'll deal with that. Idea is to have this as a WG
          doc before London.
          
          RB: there shouldn't be any need for charter adjustments.
          
          RS: It depends on how generic you guys make it.
          
          
          STAR
          ----
            Who: Thomas
            Slides:
            https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/100/materials/slides-100-acme-acme-star/
            I-D: https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-acme-star-01
          
          See slides (#3-8) for a summary of the changes since Prague.
          
          JP: with my use case which is not domain names. I do appreciate the
          de-lurkage that you did thus far. The term DNO, and the notion that
          there is a domain name owner that cancels an automatic renewal still
          doesn't fit the language of my use case, but I'd love doing exactly what
          you are doing. So, just a little bit less specificy of the domain name
          part of this and STIR would totally use this. Happy to help.
          
          TF: OK, thanks.
          
          TF: interaction with certificate transparency is TBD. Diego went to the
          TRANS WG session to present the problem.
          
          DL: No conclusive answer whether this would pose a problem to CT or not.
          What I've heard from Melinda was they are OK for documenting the problem
          and solution space. What is not completely clear is where this work
          would be done since TRANS may be closing down in the next few months.
          
          DL: If others that were there (EKR?) could share their impression as
          well?
          
          EKR: AD hat off. Given clock skews forces short-term to be not below
          7-days-ish, the increase in ingestion rate should be fine. So, no actual
          problem here, you should just go forward.
          
          RB: CT shall arrive at some solution for short-lived certificates
          anyway, regardless of this document, because there are multiple
          different fronts from which this is coming. So it seems it's their
          problem, not a problem for this document to solve.
          
          RB: One quick question out of curiosity: any CAs interested in deploying
          this?
          
          TF: Yes, Digicert contacted us; they said they have "short" as short as
          8 hours.
          
          



Generated from PyHt script /wg/acme/minutes.pyht Latest update: 24 Oct 2012 16:51 GMT -